Glass chair mats are an elegant home office upgrade. Here are our 3 picks.
Ready to upgrade your home office situation? Want to use your office chair more comfortably? Then it may be time to switch to a glass chair mat.
Plastic chair mats can provide temporary protection for your office floor, but wear out and must be replaced regularly. If you’ve used plastic chair mats before, you’ve probably noticed that they eventually turn yellow, curl at the edges, or even crack in half.
A glass chair mat lasts much longer and looks better. It will create a smoother gliding experience as you work from your office chair. Let’s go over some other key benefits to switching to a glass mat.
The Benefits of Switching to a Glass Mat
Glass chair mats have a more elegant appearance than standard polycarbonate options. Here are some other advantages to choosing a glass product over a vinyl or plastic one:
- Easier on your body: Glass is super smooth, so gliding across a glass mat with your office chair is easier than gliding over plastic. As a result, your back and joints don’t have to work as hard when you need to move, resulting in a more ergonomic desk setup.
- Stays in place: A glass chair mat will be heavier than a plastic option, so it won’t move or slip out of place easily. While cheaper alternatives need to be readjusted on a regular basis, a glass mat won’t.
- Suitable for heavier people: If you’re overweight, a glass mat is probably a better pick than a plastic option. Plastic is flimsy and can crack or bend more easily, whereas a strong glass mat will comfortably support your weight without breaking.
- Floor protection: While plastic mats do provide some protection for your floor, they just don’t hold a candle to glass mats. Plastic mats can slide out of place, causing you to wheel your chair over your hardwood floor on accident and leave marks in your home office. With a heavier glass mat, you don’t have to worry about this.
- Durability: Glass chair mats are built to be stronger than plastic options. They won’t bend, get discolored, crack, or curl. Although they tend to cost more, a glass mat will also last longer and save you time because you only have to buy it once.
- Eco-friendliness: While sustainability varies from brand to brand and product to product, buying a glass chair mat is more environmentally friendly than purchasing a plastic option. Since you only have to buy a glass chair mat once, you’re creating far less waste than you would be using a plastic mat, which needs to be replaced regularly.
Cons to a Glass Chair Mat
Some potential cons of glass mats to keep in mind are that they’re usually expensive and can be heavy. They also aren’t compatible with metal chair casters, so keep that in mind while you’re shopping.
The Best Glass Chair Mats
Now it’s time to reveal our favorite picks for the best glass chair mats on the market right now. We’ll include a mat for budget shoppers, a heavy-duty pick, and a premium option.
Best Budget Pick
The Lorell Tempered Glass Mat
If you’re trying to save some money, the Lorell Tempered Glass Mat is a good budget-friendly option. We selected it for budget shoppers because it costs about half as much as other glass chair mats. But this product will still last much longer than polycarbonate.
This product is made with scratch-resistant material and has a durable construction that can handle up to 1,000 pounds. The Lorell Tempered Glass Mat works with marble, hardwood, and both low-profile and high-pile carpet.
The mat also has the benefit of simple upkeep and is super easy to clean.
Just keep in mind that you shouldn’t use it with an office chair that has metal casters. Doing so can cause damage.
Best Heavy-Duty Option
The Cleartex Glaciermat
The Cleartex Glaciermat is a high-end, heavy-duty mat made with reinforced glass. Use it on top of the attractive wood floor or tiling in your office. The mat will add to your décor rather than taking away from it as a plastic mat would.
This mat comes in two large sizes and has an unbendable, flat design. The Cleartex Glaciermat creates a smooth, ergonomic surface for your office chair to roll across. This makes it so you don’t have to struggle to wheel around your desk as you work.
This product will never scratch, curl, discolor, dent, or sink like a plastic mat. Just buy it once, put it in place, and your work is done. You can use the Cleartex Glaciermat on all types of hard floors and carpet and it will stay flat. This product comes with a 10-year warranty to protect your purchase.
Best Premium Choice
The Vitrazza Glass Office Chair Mat
The Vitrazza Glass Office Chair Mat is our favorite premium pick because it comes with a lifetime warranty and the widest range of sizes to pick from. Choose between seven different size options from 36 by 48 inches to 60 by 60.
This glass chair mat will allow you to glide effortlessly across your floor and the clear design will show your tile or wood floor through it. You can use the Vitrazza Glass Office Chair Mat on any floor, including carpet, tile, or wood.
Once you put it into place, it’s heavy enough to stay where you want it to without shifting. The glass is dent-proof and comfortable to use. As an added bonus, it also comes with an easy lift tool that helps you get your mat into the proper position.
A trusted brand name, Vitrazza has been featured on Sirius XM radio. The product comes with an impressive Forever Warranty.
Don’t Forget to Upgrade Your Office Chair
A glass chair mat will make your desk situation more comfortable. But if you’re using an old, worn out chair, you’ll still be uncomfortable. Don’t forget to upgrade to a quality office chair before getting a mat to place under it.
Once you’ve chosen an upgraded, ergonomic pick, you’re ready to pair it with a quality glass chair mat. While plastic floor mats will offer some protection for your floor, they’re a subpar pick compared to glass chair mats.
It’s true that a glass chair mat will usually cost more than a plastic alternative. But you’re saving money in the long run since you won’t have replace it frequently. Polycarbonate or vinyl floor mats don’t look as nice, won’t stay in place, and aren’t as comfortable to use.
A glass mat, on the other hand, provides a smooth, ergonomic surface for your office chair and has a more attractive design.